Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Book Review: Zombies Don't Query


This is my first non-fiction review, but it is sure to be of interest to anyone who wants to become a writer.
Title: Zombies Don't Query (Tips for Writing and Publishing YA)
Author: Rusty Fischer.
Cost: Free
Available: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/50815

The only problem I have with this book is it has one too many words in the sub-title. “Tips for Writing and Publishing” would be more descriptive. Yes, his focus was on how he wrote and got his YA book, ZOMBIES DON'T CRY published, but the advice is great for anyone writing in any genre.

One reason this book is a must have and a bargain at twice the price, is Fischer has had a number of non-fiction books that he either wrote or ghost-wrote so he made all his huge newbie mistakes in that field, switching to fiction he got to experiment with what he had learned and streamlined the process.

The other reason is he doesn't take himself or his process too seriously so as I read it I was thinking more of how I could apply his advice to what I am doing, rather than the impression that most books on writing give which is “You must do this”!

Most (but not all) of his advise is stuff that you will learn if you take a year of two to stalk, I mean, read agents blogs. If you have been doing this it is nice to have all that information in one place. If you haven't been stalking agents this book is a great way to get up to speed with what the rest of their stalkers are chatting about in the comment sections of their blogs.

Some of the advise is stuff no agent will admit on their blogs but we know is true. Agents forget to note in their submission guidelines that they will be out for a few days, when they get back they have 10,000 queries and give each 2 seconds to grab them or they send a form letter, same with days they have the flu or a blinding headache. It sucks if your query hits them on that day, but that's life.

As you can tell I really enjoyed this book and recommend it to everyone who wants to become a writer. If you are already published it would be worth your time to look it over as well.

I also recommend checking out his blog ZOMBIES DON'T BLOG

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Darrell; thanks so much. I am really honored and blown away by this review. So glad what I wrote meant so much and I hope it helps others as well. Best of luck wtih your writing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rusty,
    Thanks for the comment, your book pretty much covered all I've learned in my years of stalking agents and boiled it down nicely. I wish I had read it three years ago.

    ReplyDelete